DAellsworths

Thursday, August 4, 2011

More May Fun

All the way back to May…

In mid spring, there are these tree/bush/flower things that have the prettiest pink flowers. You can kind of see it here in the background and they last less then 2 weeks before the petals fall off, but they are just beautiful and before we leave Albany, I will definitely get a great shot of these!

So, all the way to August, I still can't say that Tristen is potty trained (this picture was of him back in May using the toilet) and I'm really doing it the hard way by dragging it out, but Tristen sometimes likes going to potty on the toilet. I find that I only have energy for about 1.5 days before I give up and say I'll do it later… I've really paid for doing that so many times.


Kalvin was a great help in getting our garden together and Tristen was equally curious as well put the planting soil in the cups.

 The only plant we never saw come up that we planted was the onions. Gardening out here, really couldn't be simpler. We've been blessed to not have squirrels eating our plants and it rains so much, there really is not a need to water the plants, but maybe once a week.
 For Labor Day the stake had a picnic at some park (forgot the name…) that was huge and green and HOT! It was, I think, one of the first really hot days where there was no escape because you can't escape humidity even by going in the shade; it's still muggy and sticky.

Overall, the kids did seem to have a good time though. They had some foot races for the kids. I think the youngest group they did though was 6 and under. Kalvin was in this group and got smoked by some older boys. He was pretty upset to have done poorly (being the oldest, he thinks he has to be the best at just about everything, though he's not one to totally make someone else feel bad that he had done better at something, I think he just expects that he is better, so when he's not, it's kind of hard on him).

 Here is the start of the race (VERY zoomed in).
I think this when Kalvin realized he wasn't going to beat the 6 year old (plus, Kalvin was in flip-flops)
You can see Kalvin in the tan and brown shirt on the right, as the boy in blue is crossing the finish line.
 It's so sad to see his face like this because it's really like he was REALLY sad and trying not to cry. Kalvin is not the whiny or crying type either.


Well, we can move on, Kalvin was only sad for a few minutes and he did get a participating prize, fruit snacks, YAY!

Tristen drank about 3 cans of soda and the equivalent of a half a bag of big chips (Momma's boy through and through being a chip-boy). I think he'd take the soda to another adult and they would open it for him or he would just sneak another kids drinks. About the chips, he and his girlie friend, Cecily, just sat in this train-like toy at the playground and let other kids bring chips to them on a plate. When I saw a new cup or plate of chips, I'd just laugh and tell myself that he only gets this much junk food every once in a while so he probably won't die from it.

 Strawberry soda seemed to be the favorite for him.
 And then there was the pole dancing.

2 comments:

  1. oh my goodness!!! Those pics of Kalvin made me tear up, poor kid. learning things the hard way is no fun :( And Tristen, wow! That kid can chug a soda! I love that you are taking pictures of all these fun things. One thing that I would have love to have "actually" seen while I was out there where those cherry blossoms in that first picture, BREATH TAKING! Can't wait for more posts :) Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The flowers on the tree are gorgeous! What a fun thing to go take a walk down the street and run into those!
    April and I were thinking that Tristen was fully potty trained! April and I both agreed that Maycee still needs a little more time, especially with being right in the middle of a move and I!
    I am so proud of your gardening skills! What a great thing to only have to water once a week! it's hard for me to imagine! Awesome!
    Kalvin's race brought tears to my eyes to see how sad he was at the end! He truly is a fighter, and like his grandma, quite competitive! A true first child!
    Tristen is quite the character with that strawberry soda pop and chips! He does know how to enjoy himself! I love it!

    ReplyDelete