DAellsworths

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Adirondack Extreme



July was a lot of fun with tons of random adventures 
(mostly captured by Ruth's iPod--Thanks Ruth, for being prepared!).

One weekend we went to Adirondack Extreme which is a rope course about an hour from our house. For days after, I could not stop talking about how much fun it was. It was interesting how much freedom we were given when climbing through the trees with little Staff supervision. There was a 30 minute demonstration and trial run for each person to pass before you could start, but besides that, there was not A LOT of supervision. It was a neat feeling. The cost was $45 per person and totally worth the 4 hours of climbing. There were 5 courses total with at least 13 different obstacles in each course. The courses started off easy and by the end, it was sure thrill, adrenaline, nerves and strength testing. I couldn't believe some of the things they had set up. The coolest part is that they are building one in Flagstaff, AZ! It will be called Flagstaff Extreme. I think they just got their permits to start building in AZ, but I'm hoping that they can be done by next year and I can come out and enjoy it with some family.

So, some of the obstacles they had at the last course were monkey bars at 60 feet up (you have a safety harness at all times), a Tarzan jump to a webnet of rope that you have to then climb up 10 feet to the next platform, about 25 different variations of challenging bridges through out all the courses. Ruth and I did the last (and hardest) course together while Duane watched the kids and that course alone took us about an hour to finish because of how strenuous and nerve racking it was. I would seriously finish one challenge, get the next platform and laugh out loud thinking, 'Are you kidding me?! They think I could do that? After just doing what I did?!' We were all sore the next few days and after Duane did that last course he said, "How did you two finish that?!" It was great and we would love to go back again when some other enthusiastic family members out here.

FYI, the pictures are only from the easiest courses. The last course does not have any visibility from pathways below which was a bummer since we couldn't get any pictures of it.

There was a playground for the kids to play on as well though they preferred to be standing at the trail trying to find us in the swarm of trees (you have to be at least 7 years to be allowed to be on the rope course), but Kalvin did great on the monkey bars.
 Tristen is our little climber!


 
Tristen was exhausted by the end of the long day there!

1 comment:

  1. Wow this looks like so much fun ! You guys are always doing fun things . Take advantage of all the fun in New York while it lasts. It also looks like quite a work out . I bet you were sore for a few days after...

    ReplyDelete