DAellsworths

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Primary Activity Day

On my last post I promised a big family announcement! And here it is.....



Drum Roll Please...


Please....



I was called to be the Primary President!


So, maybe it's not a family announcement, but it will effect everyone in our family.

Last Saturday we had a HUMUNGOUS primary activity that we've been planning since January. It was called A Journey to Know Jesus and I got all my info for it from my sister-in-law, Rachele since her primary did the same thing last August.

Each child made their own boxcar at home and came to the stake center with it. They each received a personalized Drivers License, 2 CTR bucks and a set of instructions to follow directions carefully. They were promised that as they listened well and followed directions that they'd be able to earn more CTR bucks to use at the end of the journey.

We had a girl in the branch decorate the building with road signs. She did an awesome job and it turned out so darling!






Here are the rooms we had set up:

The Map Room explained that just like maps the scriptures will guide us to know the right way to take our Journey.

Next they went through a mud puddle and got a brown splot on their cars.
Then they hit up The Waters Of Mormon Car Wash where they learned about batism. Their mud splats were taken off and they got a rain drop on their car.

From there they followed the road signs to the Car Repair Shop where they learned about how we need to continue to repair our lives with the atonement and received headlights for their cars.
Next the kids went through Temptation Trail (cut across the Cultural Hall) where they were tempted to let go of the rope with candy, toys and dollar bills scattered all over the ground (it was tempting for a lot of the kids)!



Next they learned about how we all need tires on our car because without them our cars would not move just like if we don’t have a testimony of Joseph Smith we can not truly grow in the gospel.

The Paint Shop was next where the kids learned to renew our spirits continually.


 

 Next was the Temple where the kiddos learned about the missionary work we do within the temple. I loved how to start they made each child a temple recommend and they then presented the recommend to get inside the temple.



 









From there the kids took all the CTR Bucks they had earned to the Concession Stand where they were praised for their diligence in listening to their leaders and the road signs and used their CTR Bucks to buy popcorn or cookies. The cookies naturally cost more and it was explained to that just like in this life, if they will keep the commandments they will be happier in the next just like if they had several CTR Bucks they could purchase more treats.

After all the kids (who were in groups of 4-5) made it to the concession stand, we headed to the Heavenly Drive-In's where the Branch President talked to the kiddos about their journey and we all watched the last 10 minutes of The Testaments.









Just after the activity was over, the Branch President took me aside and asked me to be the Primary Pres. So, that day as people asked if I felt a burden lifted since the activity was over, I couldn’t honestly answer because honestly I was worrying about this new calling. Darn! I was really looking forward to a relaxing day after it was over too!

7 comments:

  1. Sucker!!! Just kidding, it will be a great opportunity for you. That sounds like such a fun activity! No wonder the Branch President called on you...
    I just have to say that two weeks ago I was released from primary (after just under year in) and put into the RS presidency and I couldn't be more thrilled about it ;) Primary is NOT my thing, so I actually pity you, but I think you are going to be FAR better at it than I would ever be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That sounds like a lot of work!

    It sounds like a lot of fun too. I was amazed by how cool some of those boxcars looked. You must have some pretty amazing parents in your branch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are going to be fabulous Angie!! I think the calling totally fits you :)

    The Primary activity day looked AMAZING!!! I bet the kids will remember that for a long time.

    Your an inspiration to the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking the same thing as April- that those kids will remember that for ever! All those parties that you planned for all your friends in HS really payed off- you got really good at making a plan and making it come to life. What a neat activity, and I'm sure you'll be great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting - good luck Angie!! I'm sure you will do totally awesome with
    your new calling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, there was a ton of detail and planning that had to go into that activity day. No wonder you were constantly referring to it in our telephone conversations!!! There was a lot of work to put that together! I am thinking that the children will not be the only ones that receive great benefits from the lessons taught that day. I am sure it was just as much or more for the adults than the children. It is amazing when we teach and testify how much our own testimony grows!
    Angie, I am so excited about the growth and learning experiences you will have with your new calling as primary president! I am so happy for you!

    Love always and forever,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh the primary activity! So much fun! Love your blog and all the pictures. Sorry... but you did not wear it best. No offense. :)
    McKenzi

    ReplyDelete