DAellsworths

Thursday, December 23, 2010

NYC craziness!

So, Duane had an (optional) conference in NYC a couple weeks ago (Dec. 10-14) and we decided to go as a family. NYC, I feel, is one of those places everyone has to experience at least once (and ideally without kids). Really, I think I'd like to have the kids there about half the day because it was so fun to see Kalvins face as he walked slowly with his face to the sky in between the big skyscrapers, saying, "Woah Mom, look at those big skyscrapers!". There was one particular time that I got caught up in the hustle bustle of the city and just wanted to get from point A to point B and Kalvin was lawly gagging. So, I tried to rush him along, but he was resistant then I stopped and took a breath because I could tell he was contemplative and asked what he was doing to which he responded, "I'm looking at the skyscrapers!". It was kind of an eye opener to me that even in such a busy place I should be enjoying the scenery as well.

Our hotel was in a nice central location, 1/4 mile from Central Park, about 5 short blocks from Duane's conference, 1 mile from the Manhattan Temple/Church, and 1 block from the subway that took us everywhere that was more than 5 blocks from us.

There is so much to say about the city that I don't even know where to begin. How about some short snippets:
* NYC is a very busy city, but I think it's even more so during the Christmas season
* After 4PM one should not walk the streets because it is SO busy. It's literally shoulder to shoulder push and shove to get anywhere (yes, the movies depict it well).
* If traveling with children, do not forget to pack a stroller (it took me till we got to our hotel the first day to figure out that I left ours at home--we had a hard time getting things together for the trip).
* NYC is one of the few vacation spots you could potentially loose weight because the food is so expensive that you want to eat small portions.
* If you forget to pack Sunday clothes, still go to church cause they're use to seeing people in street clothes and suitcases.
* If you WAY over pack on the kids jackets and warm clothes, don't fret because at least you were prepared for just about anything
* Pack enough supplies to make BPJ's everyday for at least one meal (this saved us about $70 total)
* Girls, watch your purse carefully. I saw a girls purse get stolen 30 feet from an office

Without further adieu:

















4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I am so jealous!!!! Your trip looks amazing!!! I hope you had a blast- I told Paul we have to visit NYC together someday, cuz it's just one of those places everyone needs to visit during this life! :) how fun for your fam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the new look of your blog! And I love the new way your pictures are blocked. When you come out to Mesa I want you to teach me how to do that. Or maybe you can just tell me over the phone.
    Your trip to New York City looked so fun. I love all of the emotion and different faces you caught. I can just imagine Kalvin loving every experience and wanting to take it all in. I love Duanes faces. You look so pretty and bright. Tristen, of course is adorable.
    I think it is very cool you went to church in your street clotes and I would have loved to be in on that Broadway show you took in for sacrament meeting!
    Love always,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angie , it looks like you guys really had a great time. I especially love that you and Kalvin went out on a little day date. I have often thought I think that one on one time with each child will be a monthly priority. I love the picture of you guys at the Rockefeller center . Your entire family is glowing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like so much fun! I'm glad you guys are seeing so many sites and going so many places even though you have little kids. Who knows how much they will remember but you ALWAYS will! I love how willing you and Duane are to have fun even when it isn't always convenient. That's why we can't wait to cruise with you again! BTW the marathon post is done...

    ReplyDelete