It is a song my mom listened to growing up called Zelda The Zebra.
So, about the house... we have been hard at work trying to get the walls done, but Duane keeps finding things he does not like... lol (I should have known...) so, we get to either do it over or well, no, mostly just scrape it off and do it over. I'm not knockin' on him, really, cause ideally, I would like the house to be perfect too, but realistically, the house is 60 years old and it's not going to be perfect unless we bulldoze it and rebuild it from the basement up. I really hope it doesn't like I'm complaining too much, cause really, I very happy with the end result thus far; it's just taken 14 times longer than I originally planned and that's frustrating from a mom's point. We are still living out of suitcases and if it weren't for my mom being here, we'd probably be eating beans and tortillas still every night.
We really have had so much help. My visiting teaching companion is such a busy mom, working at least one day a week outside the home and babysitting other days of the week, but she still finds time to call every couple days to check in and has brought groceries over a couple times, not to mention that she's came over to help for a few hours one night. Wow, I love the members of the branch, there really are amazing people out there!
Anyway, here are some pictures. They'll tell our story. Actually, looking at them now makes me laugh. Cause we've had some funny times. I mean can you really take someone seriously when they're wearing green science class goggles, a yellow medical face mask that is duckbill shaped, a red beanie, and glasses to top it off? Not me!

Take a lot of dirt, add exposed asbestos, and a molding washtub and you've got our basement. Here, my mom is decked out and ready to tackle the project at about 11:00 at night. P.S. She stayed up till 2:30 working on it and only got about half done.
The next night as we were painting another room together and both giddy laughing at the strangest things (I don't know if it was sleep deprivation or the paint smell) she told me that she actually enjoyed vacuuming and cleaning up downstairs. Hearing that comment almost made me wet myself I was laughing so hard (maybe you just had to be there). I mean, really, who loves cleaning mildew rooms?! I love my mom!
Duane did not like the molding along the wall (I'm not sure what the name for it is, but it's molding that is about waist hight) because there was quite a bit of paint build up preventing an even line. Here, you can see the chunks of paint after removing the boards.
Here, my friend McKenzie had come over and was helping prime the walls. I only had Tristen out a few minutes with the paint, then my mom took him to the other room again.
It wouldn't be fair to not put up blackmail picture of myself. This is after I had been sanding the dry mud on the walls while the kiddos were napping.
So, this story is that we painted a glossy surface without putting a primer coat or any other prep work and the next day we noticed it scraped off VERY easily. Anyway, after a lot of scraping to get it all off and talking to several "experts" at Home Depot I decided that it was just because it didn't have time to dry that it was scraping off so easily. It's been very cold and wet here (both of which are very bad for drying paint).

Kal loves taking walks especially in the snow!

Kal was so good to stop for every intersection, look all around for cars and wait for me to give the clearance to go.
Tristen is always laughing at Kal.
Tristen woke up the other morning looking like Scar Face.




No comments:
Post a Comment