DAellsworths

Monday, November 7, 2011

Attic updates!

So, we are busy here getting ready for our trip to AZ. There is a lot to do in the attic since our Drywall guy bailed on us and decided the job was too hard... in 9 days I've probably put in 18 hours of work up in the attic. My muscles are very sore, but I can feel I'm getting stronger by scrubbing all the extra joint compound the drywall guy put on the wall. It's been a lot of work, but I'm going to fight to the end trying to get it done up there before baby #3 comes.
My goal was to have the walls paint ready by Saturday (yesterday), but even after all my hard work, I was not able to get it ready in time... :-( I still feel that the day ended well. We had our home teachers and missionaries come over and we by the end of the day, we had all the OSB put down on the floor. It was very encouraging having all that done! I didn't realize how great it would feel to have that finished, but it looks great! We are so thankful for our those who helped yesterday.




 I gave Tristen an apple last night while we were working upstairs. He got creative with the screws we were using to get the OSB down.
 Kalvin thought it looked fun so without me knowing he went downstairs for a second apple and put his on display as well.
 Here's what it looks like right now... YAY for OSB!
You can see on the left the stairs that come up from the main floor. What you see here will be a study or some kind of office style area.
 This view is from coming up the stairs (notice the boys artwork). On the far left is an opening for the AC unit (still not sure what kind of door we'll use to close this off). On the right is the bathroom that is far from done. I'm not concerned about getting totally finished before the baby comes (it would honestly be a miracle, between Duane's work shedule and me not having a clue as what to do in there).
 Another view of the messy bathroom (the toilet will actually be on the opposite wall) hiding behind the shower).
 Here's bedroom. It's clutery because we started laying the OSB here first, then moved everything from the "office" area to this side and didn't make it very organized.
Ao, today at church I was talking with the Jessee's (a great husband and wife who are retired, have been on a mission together and live outside the Branch boundaries but have been called to work with the YSA though they seem to make it their calling as well to fellowship and help EVERYONE!). The wife still works as a Real Estate Agent and they actually flip homes on the side. Anyway, so Brother Jessee said, "I've been recruiting a group of workers to come work in your attic". What a great couple they are! They want to help get it done before the baby comes. When he heard that we were leaving out of town in just 2 days, he said, "Would you mind leaving the key and we'll just work on it while you're gone...?"

What great friends we have here in the branch. We are so blessed to be so close to the members here. I desperately want to move up to our suite upstairs before the baby comes, because frankly I don't know after the baby comes when I will be motivated again to get it finished, so I told them they could come over while we were gone.

Really, the big things left to do before we could move our bed up there is to have the carpet put in and the walls painted. There is still more mudding and sanding to do before that though... not near as much as there was, but definitely not there yet. Life is so busy with Duane's schedule and the requirements he has to put together outside of his 10 hour workdays: presentations, an article for a journal that will be published, and studying for the cases the following day that I'm not sure how getting this attic done, will happen. All I know is that I would be thrilled to have it done and I'm going to do everything I can in my power to make it happen.

You're welcome to check up on me to keep me motivated to work up there!

3 comments:

  1. You are going to be in heaven when that attic is finished! It's so huge...you're own private retreat with room for the baby on one end. That would be awesome if the branch members could finish it for you while you are gone so all you have to do is carpet it, what awesome people out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea for getting the OSB down Saturday. You really worked hard for that and I commend you for that! I am so glad you have so many wonderful helpers that can assist you in this work that is so meaningful to you! It is neat to see how much your friends care about you and that you are getting taken care of, even if your Mom isn't out there to help! That makes me very happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your attic is coming right along! Horray. I also love the stitching job! What a handy husband.

    ReplyDelete