DAellsworths

Friday, January 14, 2011

Service in The Church

It's ironic that just a few months ago I spoke in church on missionary work and ended up gearing a lot of my talk toward choosing to serve those around us. I spoke of how I have a hard time opening my mouth in proclamation of the gospel and the restoration of Christ's church, but that it's easier for me to give of my time. I explained how we can use this service as a great missionary tool. It's ironic because I feel yesterday and the last few weeks, my testimony of service has been challenged.

Since I was called to serve as the first Counselor in the Primary, I have given much more of my time to the church than ever before. Some days, I feel I eat, sleep, and breathe primary. I've dedicated many nap times to working on Primary projects. I feel I am beginning to see the "service - oriented" church we are apart of. I think often what great faith those members in higher callings must have to give so much faith.

Duane and another Brother in the Branch are the first called Cub Scout Leaders of the Albany 2nd Branch. Wednesday of this week was supposed to be the first Cub Scout meeting. Because of the big snow storm on Wednesday though, we had to cancel scouts. The Primary President really did not want to reschedule for another week because this first Cub meeting had already been pushed back so she contacted everyone and rescheduled for Thursday (last night). Though in comparison to how much the Primary President did to have this meeting last night, I did hardly anything, I still felt a burden of stress with the change and re-planning.

Cub Scouts was planned for 6:00 last night and I was to pick up 1 boy (the President picked up 2 or 3). I was really dragging my feet getting out the door. I was grudgingly putting coats on the boys and boots and socks on their feet because I felt that it was the steward ships of the parents and Cub Scout leaders to get the boys to Scouts, not mine.

I packed the boys in the car and headed to TaShawns house to pick him up. I knocked on the door and his mom answered. I asked if she had received any of my messages about scouts tonight (for which she had not), but she rushed and got TaShawn ready to go. Then she went upstairs and I wasn't sure if I should leave with TaShawn or wait for her to give us the go. While she was up there, I talked a little with TaShawn, but was mostly listened for the "go-ahead" from mom. Instead, all I heard was yelling, "AJ, get over here! Sit down and watch this movie! Now, don't move!". AJ is the four year old little brother of TaShawn. After a few moments of waiting, Mom appeared and motioned us to leave.

As we were walking to the car, I felt bad for the two boys situations in that house. It tugged at my heart strings to think what it must be like to live in a household of yelling and emotional put-downs all day. They don't have a car, so they take the bus everywhere, I have no idea nor do I know if the two boys know who their father is. It was during this thought process on the way to the car that TaShawn interrupted my imagining with a side-hug and,  "Thank you Sister Ellsworth, I've missed you since Sunday. I'm excited to come to Scouts!"


Instantly, I was reminded why service in the Branch and all over the church, It is so important; it helps each of us to be humble in our work. The Branch is a great place to learn to serve. For just the other week, I heard that out of a regular 90-100 members who come to church every week, 30 of them are only there because someone picked them up.

Here's a snapshot from my phone of the Cub Scout Boys. Kalvin and Tristen sat very nicely in these chairs. Tristen came with me about 2 minutes later, but Kalvin stuck it out and wanted to do everything with the big Cub Scouts and was much better behaved than most the boys there.

2 comments:

  1. Sweet Angie,

    Your blog has really touched me. You are doing a great work out there in your branch. The children you are helping are having opportunities that they never would, if you, and others like you didn't care enough to stretch yourself as you are. Thank you, for loving all of God's children as you do.

    Love always and forever,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie you really do inspire me and when you posts things like this it reminds me once again how great I think you are. One of the greatest things that you do is service for others without even thinking of it has service. I noticed this about you, you naturally just serve! Thank you for your great example of service.

    ReplyDelete