We've contracted with a man to re-shingle our roof because of hail damage. He's getting a nice chunk of cash from the insurance, so I'm expecting professional work. I wish I'd had better communication with him from the beginning, but Duane has been the mastermind behind this whole idea and had most everything set before I even got back from the AZ trip. So far he hasn't really impressed me. He's really only been here one day.
The night before, he told Duane that he'd be here by 7:00 AM Nov. 3 but did not show up till noon. I didn't think a whole lot of it till that evening around 7:00 PM when he was still banging around up there. He got such a late start that he had to stay late (sunset is 5:30 so he was in the dark). Well, the following 2 days (which was yesterday and today) was forcasted to rain all day, so when he left just after 7:00 Duane happened to be outside and he told Duane he'd be back to put tarps up because of the coming rain. So, at 9:00 he climbs on our roof and starts banging away and doesn't finish till 9:45. I was really not happy to have him waking up our kids and disturbing the neighbors so late. I was also watching my friends two girls for a day and a half so they were also awakened.
Well, the next day, it rained without stop, but I did look outside briefly to see what it he'd done out there. I was frustrated to see a mess. I really didn't mind the old shingles laying on the driveway (because they kind of blend in) as much as the cardboard and plastic trash in our front yard. I was sure he'd be by to pick up some of the trash that day, and around two that afternoon, I saw him outside the kitchen window briefly. He seemed to be looking at the tarps on the roof. When I looked outside an hour or so later, he was no where in site and NONE of the trash had been touched!
We have a few neighbors with their house's for sale on the street and I know I would NOT appreciate a mess outside their house when trying to sell mine. Actually, one neighbor who's selling their house, did come over and complain last night. He tried to be nice about it, but really, it just made me that much more embarrassed.
Am I wrong to be annoyed?
I got up early this morning and took a few pictures. This is after it's sit for a day.
After taking these pictures, I did clean up some of the mess since the kids were still sleeping.
I've got to figure out a nice way to tell this roofer that I would appreciate him cleaning up after himself better at the end of the day without sounding too naggy or angry.




Wow that really is unprofessional. It's common to see something like that on a construction site for an unfinished home, but that should never be left at a home where people are living and have to look at that mess. I can't believe all the shingles he just left all over your driveway. That's just pure laziness, which would make we worry what kind of job he's doing up on top...Is it too late to find someone else?
ReplyDeleteIf it were me i would not be nice about it. You need to explain that people are trying to sale their places around you and it makes the neighborhood look bad. i would definately talk to him and let him know that that is completely not exceptable. i know easier said than done but you really need to say something.
ReplyDeleteWow, this sounded like such an awesome deal when you were in Az and explaining it . Did you happen to have a contract written up and signed , that would be my number one priority! Keep taking pics to document the entire process. I hope things start looking up soon.
ReplyDeleteOH man. That is not my idea of tidy and professional. This guy is working alone? wow. The guy should know better I think. And yes, I'm still following you on your blog even though I hardly comment. :) Hope all is well.
ReplyDelete