Today was our last Sunday at church in AZ for several months, Tristen was difficult to manage at 17 months because he wanted to be everywhere except where he was supposed to be and was ready for a nap before the first speaker closed in the first meeting. Kalvin had one small frustrating moment during sacrament meeting, but was otherwise fairly well behaved. To be honest, after the first meeting, I was ready to go home, put Tristen to bed and take a nap myself while the family finished their Sunday classes (after all, it would be very quiet being at my parents all alone), but I'm glad I chose to stay because I was able to witness a tender mercy.
In the Albany 2nd Branch in New York, I am not able to see how Kalvin acts in nursery, though I've always wondered at how he does. His teachers reassure me that he's a sweet boy, but today I was able to see for myself his potential in class, it was very rewarding. I didn't feel I'd get anything out of going to my class having Tristen by my side, so we both met Kalvin in nursery to "familiarize Tristen with the environment" ;-).
To begin, we played with puzzles at the table and the boys were having a good time though I was still slightly grumpy from having to try to tame the Tristen Monster-Baby during sacrament (though in reality it was my mom who helped him the most). I was wanting to shake the blue feeling from me, but wasn't sure how till the primary singing leader came in for singing time.
Kalvin was so excited to be involved and was very obedient to sit quietly on his carpet rug. Tristen joined also, just next his big brother. The teacher had props for every song she sang and handed them out to each child before singing. I loved seeing Kalvin's effort to sing the songs and he was quick to help put the props away after every song. Tristen did a great job at helping to give props back as well.
Before one particular song, the teacher held up a picture of Jesus and Kalvin was the first to answer who it was, next she held a copy of the Book of Mormon and he was able to identify it as well, when she held the picture of the prophet, he wasn't able to say who he was, but neither were any of the other children. I was happy to see Kalvin so involved.
It was a neat experience to see Kalvin at his best, listening to the teacher attentively and when the teacher came up short on props for the next song, all on his own, Kalvin surrendered his prop to the teacher so she could give it to another wanting child (and I know it wasn't because he didn't want it).
I was so proud at that moment, as a parent, that he was mine. Not that I felt I had taught him how to be that sweet, or that his ultra smart genes came from me, but that his caring spirit came to our family so we could learn from him.
We just love him and it's an honor to be his earthly Mom. I pray that I can often have these glimpses to remind me that his body may be small and unexperienced, but his spirit is mature.
It may be hard to tell in this picture from my phone, but he was sporting a pretty sweet purple colored shirt today :-)


Kalvin is so intuitive and also a very sweet boy. I noticed this many times yesterday when he was over to play with Stratton. He is a GREAT big brother as well and really watches out for Tristen. Kalvin we Love you!
ReplyDelete