DAellsworths

Monday, January 4, 2010

"The bank should give clearance any day now..."

That's what we've been hearing for two weeks now.
I've been told that buying a home NEVER runs smoothly, but I feel Duane and I have had our fair share of bumps in the process of buying our first home here in Albany. After believing we would close last Wednesday, we were informed the following day, Thursday (New Years Eve) that closing wouldn't be till this week since there was one more document to be signed by the home owner who was away on vacation and everyone was leaving early that day from the office since it was, in fact, New Years Eve (*note to self* NEVER buy a home close to Christmas nor in the Winter (while living in New York anyway)). Our lease with the apartment was up that same day. Duane took the news much better than I, but I couldn't stand the thought of being homeless (as we were when we first moved here).
Thankfully, we have very generous neighbors who lived just under us, who are loaning their spare room and their second bathroom to us till we can get our house (which we are hoping will be Tuesday or Wednesday, if all runs smoothly). Our neighbors have a little girl Kalvin's age and they love to play/fight.
The seller allowed us to move our things into the detached garage of the house we're buying and surprisingly, it all fit (except the love sac which we have with us in the neighbor's living room).
It has been a very stressful last few days, yet humbling to see the generosity of many.
It's been pretty cold outside, so we haven't been out much except to run errands, go to church or walk around Walmart and/or Home Depot and I do not have a car during the day, so I quite literally feel trapped.
Not all is bad though... I believe it is safe to say that Kalvin is potty trained! He's not had an accident for probably 5 days now and wears big boy underwear to bed at night, too. For him, the trick has been to take away the diapers completely, I told him that I threw them away (though I really just passed them on down to Tristen) and reiterate over and over that he is a big boy now. I even enticed him for a couple days with pennies every time he made it to the toilet (that's when he really started making an effort to get to the bathroom on time). Overall he probably had 5 pee accidents (and one was because Duane couldn't get him to the family bathroom at Walmart fast enough). It's kind of a sad story (for Duane) actually. I was pretty stressed (not to say he wasn't, but he handles it much better than i do) about the whole house situation, so he took the kids while we were at Walmart for me to get few things and we were going to meet back up. Well, Kalvin said he had to go pee and Duane took him to the front of the store, while holding Tristen. Well, there was a sign on the bathroom that said "family restroom at the back of the store" so, not knowing what to do with Tristen while helping Kalvin (since I had the cart that held the baby car seat, he turned his cart around and made his way to the back of the store. By the time he got to the bathroom in the back Kalvin had peed his pants.
Back to my original idea, he had about 5 pee accidents and 1 poop accident. I think he's been ready for a while now, I just wasn't ready to put up with the 3 days of torture, but since we're indoors due to freezing cold weather, I took a stab at it.
He's doing very well though. The other day we were about 15 min from home and he said, "Pee, Mommy!". It tried not to over react and distracted him by singing "Old MacDonald" and "Jingle Bells" the rest of the way home and you know what, he made it! I was so proud.
Well, hopefully the next post will be the exciting news that we are clear to close!

1 comment:

  1. Wow you guys really have had a rough time, Angie I am so sorry . That sure doesn't sound like any fun at all . You have a great attitude and your post still sounds very positive. We will keep praying for you guys . YAY...Kalvin that is so GREAT ! What a Big boy,maybe he can teach his cousin a few things :)

    ReplyDelete