There was once a time when I'd come home from church on Sundays feeling uplifted, edified, take a short nap and snack all day. Now, from the time I wake up I feel like the day is planned out to the minute. For instance, today was quite exciting. Well, I guess to fully understand the days events we must rewind to last night. "
Yesterday was Duane's only day off this week, so we used the time running errands in the truck (since I'm stuck at home with no car now that we sold the Scion). We arrived home late last night 9:30ish and Kalvin had a hard time getting to sleep. In fact, he refused to sleep till 11:00 last night (even though he was in bed). This morning, I drove Duane to work so I could use the truck in getting to church, so we got the kiddos up at 6:30 this morning to make the 40 min. round trip drive to drop Duane off. I thought Kalvin might sleep when we got home from dropping him off, but he was wide awake when we got here and didn't sleep before we left for church.
I have been assigned to create a photo branch directory so last and this week I've arrived 30 min. early and stayed 30 min. late taking pictures of the families and singles in the Branch.
Well, Duane was absent today (as you know) so it was interesting trying to manage without my better half. Actually, I must say there were several members of the branch who jumped in to help as they saw necessary which was the saving grace to my sanity.
Also, please note that Kalvin is petrified of "loosing" his parents. He must have either Duane or I insights at ALL times! No exceptions! So, when Duane's not at church Kalvin is attached to my hip.
Anyway, I asked a couple visitors to keep an eye on Tristen as I was just outside the door taking pictures (I'm just now thinking, was that mean to ask them?). They didn't seem to mind as they had a three year old who seemed to enjoy the baby. Once I came in from getting several pictures, I found my Visiting Teaching companion playing with the baby. I was so relieved to find him in good hands (though I knew he was going to be fine).
We got several pictures in and soon the meeting started. Kalvin did fairly well, as did Tristen. We only sat in the chairs for a total of about 10 min., but I was alright with standing in the back.
After the meeting ended, Kalvin was asking about nursery so we went down and I stayed close by (as usual). Soon, Tristen was hungry so we all left to go feed him. It was about then that Kalvin started asking to "leave in Daddy's truck", though I felt as though we still had a long way to go with our time at church... then I was needed in primary to help with the class I teach every other Sunday.
We went up to Relief Society for a few min. but Kalvin was being too distracting, I felt, (though I can hardly blame him since he only had 7 hours of sleep last night) so we went out into the hall. There I found two other children close to Kalvin's age and was relieved at the site that there were others to understand my situation.
Just as relief society was closing a sister came out and offered to watch the kids while I finished up with pictures. I was so grateful for this sweet sister who was thoughtful enough to jump in and help (ironically I am HER visiting teacher). I had been contemplating on who I should ask to help with the baby and she came right along and offered her assistance. Please note that she has two very small children of her own and I'm sure she would have been much happier at home letting her kids have lunch and take naps.
After pictures, we had a meeting with the activities committee concerning the branch Thanksgiving this week and set up tables, so by the time we got in the truck to head home, Kalvin was exhausted and asleep within seconds and Tristen was already passed out.
Wheew... What a mouthful!
What can I walk away with from such a hectic day? A grateful heart for compassionate friends who are willing to sacrifice their own comfort for the help of another and a cute picture of Kalvin that I snapped just before church.
I can't believe how much that kid is growing up. How sad we'll be strangers to him by the time we see you again.
ReplyDeleteNo one can understand those Sundays unless they live them first hand. I have compassion, because I can relate; however, I laughed so hard reading your entry. I remember exclusively nursing 2 separate infants while Dean was in the bishopric with my other children in tow and it made for some internal stress that I'm still recovering from:)
ReplyDelete